Monday 19 January 2009

Ouray part 2.

Here's a few videos and some photos from the Ouray ice park.
I arranged to meet John (angry) at grand junction airport and drive down to Ouray on the 2nd, and while I was in Salt Lake City airport waiting for the grand junction flight a guy and a girl ran up to me and enquired if I was going to Ouray. At first I was kind of confused but then I realised I was wearing my ice boots, which they had noticed.
Turns out they needed a lift down but had a flat to crash in, so we made the swap. We all drove down with John, and instead of camping out or sleeping in John's truck we had a nice warm floor to sleep on. After a good nights sleep broken only by a few incidents of pillow to the face (I guess I was snoring a little - not a common occurance. Well, not overly common.) we all went out for a climb, and my first peak at the legendary Ouray ice park.
The climbing was GREAT! What ice! And there was so much of it - literally miles (okay, more then one mile) of steep 100 foot ice falls.
Here's a few pictures and videos to give you an idea of the banter we've had.



















Inside the Silver nugget - probably the best cafe/semi bar in town. The owners are sound, and sometimes if you do a few jobs for them you can catch a free meal or 2.



1 comment:

GB (admin) said...

Sweet dude! Have to wonder if Angry knows how to rock his car, but whatever.

Nice pics. I gotta say that the video made me think twice about climbing ice. Not gonna happen, but you know, it made me think.